Monday, July 28, 2008

Bombs..Blasts...And a Hobby Gone Bad....

I have a hobby of collecting newspaper headlines. Not everyday news, but news that made headlines. I have the clipping of Indira Gandhi Assasinated, Rajiv Gandhi Assasinated, India winning the World cup, Lord Ganesha Drinking milk, The Bombay bomb Blasts, The Bombay blasts again, and again and again.

If the bombing spree goes on this way, I think i will have to keep everydays frontpage !

While at the point, I also wonder how long and how many times will the same cycle be repeated and how far will we go till we say enough is enough and react. I am just fed up of a few things , rhetoric, statements and News Flash that follow a Bomb-Blast.
  • The Prime minister and President have condemned the blasts.
  • The Chief minister has asked the public to maintain calm and peace.
  • News Flash - Police have released sketches of suspected bomber.
  • The News reporter shouting "You are watching these first pictures of the blast site exclusively on our channel"
  • The gory images of blast victims that are splashed on the screens, I am sure it would have a huge phsycological impact on many people, specially those who would have either gone through a similar experience themselves, or sadly would have lost one of thier kin.
  • Finger pointing by politicians. It is high time we grow up folks !

On a personal level, i have gone beyond getting scared by such incidents, It just does not effect anymore. I guess its just about not being at the wrong place at the wrong time and being happy about it.

My prayers to all those who were affected by the recent events.

and to those who are doing this : MAY YOU ROT IN HELL !

6 comments:

eyememyself said...

Very apt title for the post. Yeah all those cliched news channel headlines, political blame game just gets to you! What's surprising is the tolerance level amongst us towards these incidents has grown so much that it's alarming! Are we becoming an insensitive nation?! And the PM takes 3 days' just to visit the victims. Wish he could learn a thing or two from his Chineese counterpart who got down to business of rescuing quake victims in 4 hours flat! There you go, I start complaining like those politicians! Yikes!

Pranjal said...

Hmm... Somehow my point-of-view seems to differ. I think the fact that we don't react sends a very loud message here - Life is larger than your stupids tactics by which you try to scare us. No?!

Ofcourse, with all due respect to the people we've lost amongst us. It'll take all we've got to overcome that loss.

Between, nice hobby :)...

Jyoti said...

I totally hate the "breaking news", i've stopped watching it and don't let anybody at home watch it either, if they are just glorifying and repeating it..i prefer to read my news these days...

Either we have become a totally insensitive or just able to adapt really well. Great hobby btw..

Usha said...

I agree..
I'm surprised at the fact that I dont even feel anything about it anymore.. other than a silent prayer for those affected. We've all started accepting it like any other natural calamity, i guess.

and it's better not to talk about the journalism ethics here.. it's all again a competition b/w channels on who paints the goriest pic of them all!

Smini said...

I totally agree with Usha, its become more of a natural calamity...

Since I cannot do anything about these, it makes me more determined to enjoy every day of my life...tomorrow it might be me..

S.. Diva said...

thats some different take on the bomb blasts.. i had an indifferent take on the bangalore blasts though. strangely no one bothered about me on the blast day though i was in a km's vicinity of the blasts :(