Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Police... Somebody Call the Police Please......

My day always begins with the cab that takes me to office arriving late. The same happened a couple of days back and I was waiting for a good 15 20 minutes for my pilot to arrive.

I have observed in Bangalore that whenever the idle time or waiting duration is more than 15 minutes, it calls for a "by-two" (tea) at the nearest tea stall. So off I went to Murugan tea stall.

As I was busy sipping tea from my plastic cup, which I have been told has to be held in a very peculiar manner with only two fingers, I observed a mean looking guy standing next to me ; with a "try talking to me and I will start with a punch in your belly" kind of look. I remembered a distant relative, and walked a couple of paces away.

Meanwhile a guy who looked like a simpleton walked towards me and asked me something in Kannada. Well I can understand a bit of kannada and can even shoot a few words. But I gave a plain shoo off buddy I can't understand a word kind of look to him and he walked away from me and went towards Mr.Mean.

Now the entire conversation that followed was in kannada, but is reproduced in English for obvious reasons...

Mr Simple: Do you know where Bashweshwar Nagar Police Station is saar?

Mr.Mean: WHAT!!!! What did you say? * In a very irritated tone**

Mr.Simple: Saar, I am asking do you know where Bashweshwar Nagar police station is.

Mr.Mean: Why? ** Rudely**

Mr.Simple: What do you mean why?

Mr.Mean: I mean why do you want to go to the police station early in the morning?

Mr.Simple: Just like that I have some work. Do you know where it is?

Mr.Mean: Do you think I am an idiot; no one goes to police station just like that. Tell me why you are going.

Mr.Simple: Visibly angry now. It is none of your business you know. You are standing here with no work; the least you can do is help others.

Mr.Mean: What do you mean, I am not your father’s servant, go straight, and take the second right and walk for five minutes it is there. I hope they lock you up. People like you who trouble others should not be walking free.

Mr.Simple: Ok. Thank you. Walks away as if nothing happened.

**Names have been changed to protect identity.

What kind of people were these two? :-)


Though I managed to understand around 60 % of the conversation, the rest was confirmed and translated for me by the tea stall guy. I am so glad he dint ask me, why do you want me to translate? :-)

4 comments:

Usha said...

well, i'd say Mr. Mean wasn't as mean as his looks might've promised to deliver. Ever come across ppl who'd ask you
1. where are you coming from?
2. who are you?
3. why d'u want to go there?
4. whom d'u have to meet there?
5. what work d'u have with him?
and finally tell you very gleefully that they have no clues as to where the place is!

Sneha said...

Mr.Mean was still good. hope he gave him the correct address...

Sneha said...

Well Santoz .. good time pass for u in the morning. May be u can ask ur pilot to be on correct time else ek din tera bhejafry hoga ..
Mr. Simple can turn Mr.Complex sometime ;)

S.. Diva said...

does mr.murugan know you made him famous on your blog?